Thursday 24 December 2015

Christmas Eve - Shoulders

Christmas Eve Workout

Even on Christmas Eve I still managed to fit in a workout, and what better way then hitting a little bit of shoulders. Now due tomorrow being a rest day for me and me splitting the shoulders into anterior and posterior I decided to hit them all in one for a change. This was a good decision.

As always I started off with a heavy push press. Recently watching Steve Cook and Mike Rashid I decided to do behind the neck. Reduce the weight slightly from what you'd do normally, focusing on the contraction bringing all of the shoulder and traps into the movement. Slow and steady always wins the race, so perform this slowly. Go heavy for one set at the top and then hit failure at lighter weights on the way down. 

Lateral cable raises proceed next from behind which is quite new to me, this targets the head in a slightly different manner. Superset this with a heavy upright rows and the pump was insane. 

I've recently wanted to focus more on the 3D look for my shoulders so to finish I performed 10x10 rear delt flies into shrugs, both with a slight difference. Set cables high, cross them over in a kneeing position. Pull cables down contracting traps and squeezing delts together. Overload the delts with weight and they'll grow as these are often under worked with lighter, high reps. Shrugs I used a hammer strength shoulder press machine, standing on the seat and shrugging. For some reason this targeted the traps in a unique and new way. Focus on every rep, squeezing traps together at the top. Go light as always and focus on contraction. This German Volume based training with 15 sets already performed was a great way to end the session. 

Rest for two days, them back to it on Sunday. 

Merry Christmas everyone

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment