Wednesday 19 February 2014

Training Chest - Rob Riches

The other day I was reading Rob Riches blog and I found his Chest overload article a really great read. For those of you who don't know who Rob Riches is he is a fitness competitor, model and author but most importantly is in amazing shape and is one of only a few top competitors who show people like me and you how he actually trains.

In this article he explains his chest routine, going through his warm up and how he structures his workout to get the best out of his chest. But the section I want to really draw you eye to is when it comes to dumbbell flies. Now I don't know about you and me but I usually go to failure on flies or a drop set, this fatiguing that muscle however, Rob says by this point your type 2b muscle fibres have not yet been used and this is where you will see the best lean muscle gains. He therefore employs a kind of rest and pause method to which I will do a blog on in the near future so be sure to check it out, anyway back to recruiting those type 2b muscle fibres. He then rests for around 20 seconds, allowing for the muscles to recover by 30% and perform a further few reps. This therefore pushing the threshold into a different capacity of the muscle, really feeling a burn.

I attempted this in the gym yesterday and have never felt the muscle had been worked so hard, so I thought I'd share this with you. This is great with any isolation exercise and it pushes the muscle beyond the fatigue threshold where the gains are really made. Be sure to check Rob Riches training articles out on his website.

www.robriches.com

Anyway keep the training up and when you want to try something a bit different, then I definetly recommend giving this a try.

Remember 70% diet, 30% gym

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment