Sunday 20 March 2016

Arm Assault

Train arms heavy and high volume. 

Yesterday was arm day but due to various commitments I had very little time to dedicate to the gym so I thought I'd mix my workout up slightly different to usual. 

1) Pre Exhaustion. This is something I've somewhat kept out of my programmes of late as I've been really focusing on lifting as heavy as I can with the first exercise, but I thought I'd put it in, beginning with the 100reps challenge on the cables. 10 reps at whatever weight is selected by a partner with no rest in between. 10x10 basically. I didn't have a partner but opted for a weight range and just kept changing the pin within that. I did the same with reverse curls then moved on to close grip bench putting 65% of BW and aimed to hit 100 reps in the fewest amount of sets possible. This brought a pretty insane pump and really made me feel warm and ready for the workout ahead. Check out Mike Rashid online for arms where he brings a much more descriptive meaning to it. 

I then moved on to heavy compound skull crushers followed by barbell curl. I opted to pyramid up until I found my 5 reps max then performed 5x5 at 90% of that focusing on a tempo of 4240. This tested the muscle group in a different way to normally pyramiding all the way up to the top weight yet, still encompassing the blunt trauma training that I've been following of Mike O'Hearn recently.  

Then I moved on to super sets of triceps followed by biceps for a slightly different effect. Close EZ curls into incline skull crushers at 45 degrees, really trying to stretch the tricep out as much as possible. Then hammers and DB curls followed for the biceps, hitting no more than 10 and still going heavy, followed by a variations of push downs using upsets, instead of the normal drop sets. Focus to be paid of the squeeze as you contract the 3 heads, not fully locking out at the elbow to keep full tension on the triceps. Reverse push downs I really focused on here to really engage to long head, don't be afraid with this to take the weight down. 

Lastly to push the muscle beyond failure I focused on them individually. A single cable curl, focusing on the twist and squeeze, using the other hand to aid with forced reps once failure had been achieved. Then single cable kick backs into push downs to really finish of the triceps. Go for anything over 15 reps for 3 sets, this shall really finish the arms off. 

And there you have it, In and out in under 45 minutes, limit your rest and you'll gain an insane pump and tear down that muscle tissue.  

Happy Training

Jack 

No comments:

Post a Comment