Monday 22 June 2015

How can I stay healthy when at home with the parents?

How do I stay healthy even when I am at home?

With it being Father's Day this pass weekend along with a mates birthday and a few days off for me I decided to pop home. Now when you're under your parents roof it's very difficult to retain the same diet you would if you were cooking for yourself. Now I have quite an accommodating mother who will cook the food I want but still eating a certain timings is one of the hardest thing of all. 

My best advice and what I follow is just make sure that when you look at your plate it consists of 40% of a protein source, 30% carbs, 15% fat and then the rest vegetables. This will fall around the levels of macronutrients that you need and would regularly eat. Now some will say but I'm not eating my usual 5 meals a day. The easiest ways to meet this is through snacks in between the 3 main meals you will eat with the family. These need to be transportable, cooked and eaten with as little fuss as possible. Few idea below.

Boiled/scrambled eggs - easy, cheap and very little fuss to make. Great source of protein.

Chocolate Rice cakes - melt dark chocolate on rice cakes, you can make these in large quantities, lasting for a few days. Good fat and carb source. Great with a afternoon green tea. 

Fruit: everyone always neglects fruit, but it is a great source of carbs, just watch the volume you're eating. You can end up eating a lot of empty carbs, which are not always needed. 

Protein bars: it's always a great idea to have a few protein bars spare for a quick hit of protein when your levels are low.

Total 0% Greek Yoghurt: this is my top food to currently eat, I am obsessed with it. Per 100grams you get over 10 grams of protein. It doesn't sit heavy on your stomach and along with a handful of nuts you have a perfect meal, meeting all your macros. 

These are all great little snacks that you could eat at home, when most think it would be difficult to hit the 5 meals that you normally would.

Remember the diet is always crucial!!!!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment